GINA CALVO SANDRO
1. When did you first become a fan of Dashboard Confessional? Well, I remember the first song I heard by DC was on a summer camping trip at 13. One of my friends had a burned CD that contained Saints and Sailors. Chris’ voice first stood out to me, but then when I actually listened to the lyrics I was blown away. You go from listening to the popular boy/girl bands back in the early 2000s to that and there is no comparison.
2. How has Dashboard Confessional affected your life? I would have to say it has on many aspects in my life. I have friends I thought I would never have because of this band- one is a very dear friend to my heart and also a large force behind the band to this day. I’m a veterinarian and sometimes I have rough days. So if I need a cry session prior to getting home, I’m blasting “The Places You Have Come to Fear The Most” so I can get it all out. I’ve slow danced many times to “As Lovers Go” and “Stolen” with my husband. The re-released acoustic albums helped me get my son to sleep when he was a newborn (…I have a terrible singing voice)
3. If you have attended a Dashboard Confessional concert - what was it like for you? I am lucky in that I live in the Nashville area so have attended several within the last decade. The first one I got to go to was actually the week long concert at The Basement East. I’m lucky to have a friend that snagged all of the posters for each night - the ones that make up a whole picture put together- and have them all currently hanging on a living room wall! It was absolutely amazing. I was a pretty sheltered kid growing up and concerts were off the list of things I could do. My first concert was at 19 and it was at the FedEx Forum. So you go from that kind of venue where you can barely see the band members’ faces and a drunken crowd to The Basement East where I could touch the stage during the show and the crowd was ecstatically involved with belting the lyrics of the songs…it’s no comparison.
4. Any suggestions for what we can do/set up for Saints & Sailors Fan Club? It might not be feasible, but maybe have some local meetups of the Club? It’s always nice to network!
5. If you could give Dashboard Confessional a message - what would it be? If you could give Dashboard Confessional a message - what would it be?
Keep fighting the good fight, and thank you for being so down to earth with the fans